Monday, February 20, 2006

Dream!

I stood there, trying to understand it all. This is it, I thought. This is where it all ends.
I heard a sound behind me. Closing my eyes, I screamed...
I woke up.
Blearily, I turned and looked at the clock on the study table beside me. 9.35. I'm late, I thought.
I got up, my back leaving a faint outline of sweat on the sheets. It was winter. Folding the blanket, I thought about the dream. It seemed so real. How could a dream be so real?
I shuddered and put the blanket aside and the pillow on top of it.
I remembered about her. She should be waiting for me now at the cafe. I had promised to meet her so that we could have breakfast together.
I reached for my cell phone and dialed her number.
"Hey ?, it's me."
"What?"
"It's me. I'll be bit late."
"Wrong number."
I dialed again. Slowly.
"?-"
"Wrong number."
Could she have lent her cell phone to one of her friends? I thought. But I just called her last night. Or maybe she has lost her cell phone on the way and someone picked it up. Never mind, I'll find out soon.
I took off my shorts and searched for my jeans. I remember hanging them behind the door last night before I slept. But they weren't there now. I looked inside the closet and under the study table. Perhaps Mother had put them to wash. Damn it, I thought. I hate it when she sneaks into my room and tries to clean it.
Sighing, I took out another pair of jeans from the closet and slipped into them. I couldn't recall buying these though. Mother must have bought them for me, not the color I wanted. But I felt comfortable in them. I hoped she wouldn't mind buying them next time, in blue.
I glanced at the clock. 9.42. Enough time to brush my teeth. I went into the bathroom.
"What the-" I retreated, my legs knocked against the toilet. Falling, I grabbed the basin and balanced myself.
I looked at the face in the mirror again.
It can't be, I thought. I rubbed my eyes, held the face and pinched the cheeks. It can't be.
I got out of the bathroom. I picked up the cell phone, wanting to call Dad or Mother, but the battery had gone flat. I tried the door but it was locked. I searched for the door key in the closet's drawer and the room, but the key was missing.
I stood there, trying to understand it all.
A dream, I thought. A bad dream...
I woke up.

Who the hell was she!?? Who knows?

No comments: